Nearly all attorneys offer an initial consultation when you are about to embark on the divorce process. Here is a checklist of things to consider and items you may want to bring for that initial meeting. Download the Divorce Consultation Checklist PDF
- ❒ Get together a list of your assets and debts with the necessary documents showing the status of your assets and liabilities. Include individual and community assets and debts as well as all supporting documents.
- ❒ Get together a list of your expenses and income including community income and expenses as well as a copy of supporting documentation.
- ❒ Prepare a list of questions you want to ask the divorce lawyer. Making the most of your time with the lawyer on the first visit is of paramount importance.
- ❒ Bring in your tax returns, both individual and joint, if you filed jointly. Ideally, try to bring in the last two years of federal and state tax returns.
- ❒ If your spouse or you are self-employed bring all the documents you can regarding expenses, income, and documentation pertaining to the operations of the business or businesses. An up to date profit and loss statement and a balance sheet would be very relevant as would the previous years Schedule A tax return.
- ❒ Make a list (bullet pointing it is a good idea) of important facts and statistics about your family. Names of children, birth dates, anniversary dates and so on.
- ❒ Get a copy of the attorney intake sheet ahead of the meeting. This can allow you more time to concentrate on what you want to talk about and give your attorney a little extra time to consult with you live in person.
- ❒ Bring as much information about your spouse as you possibly can. For example, where they are employed, and pay stubs as well as facts regarding their persona. if your spouse has a history of mental health issues, raise these when you have the meeting.
- ❒ If you are already at the stage where a divorce case has been filed bring a copy of the documentation you have to the meeting, together with an additional copy of all the documentation for your attorney so it can be examined during the course of the meeting.
- ❒ Important and evidence and documents you may have are worth bringing. if you have social media info, emails, text messages and photos that contribute to the reasons why you are getting a divorce, bring all the documentation with you.
“10 Things to Bring to Your Initial Consultation with a Divorce Lawyer.” Wilkinson & Finkbeiner, LLP, 6 Feb. 2017, www.orangecountydivorce.com/10-tips-prepare-initial-consultation-divorce-lawyer/.
Need a Divorce Lawyer in Scottsdale or Phoenix?
We have a network of Arizona mediators, attorneys, tax specialists, estate planners, financial planners, child specialists, real property appraisers, adult and child therapists and parenting coordinators who are here for you if you ever need them. Our divorce lawyers, divorce mediators and collaborative divorce attorneys in Scottsdale are here to make your divorce less stressful and keep you in control and costs contained. Call today for an initial consultation at 480-240-0040 or [email protected]. Our family lawyers can also help with divorce litigation, child custody, legal guardianship, paternity, prenuptial agreements, and more.
*This information is not intended to be legal advice. Please contact Canterbury Law Group today to learn more about your personal legal needs.