Written by Canterbury Law Group

How Long Does A Divorce Mediation Take?

On average, divorce mediation can take anywhere from 1-6 months depending on the complexity of your situation. How the two parties deal with their issues and the ability to be flexible as they negotiate a fair agreement dictates how long the mediation will take. As each case is different, the average case typically takes at least one half-day, or full day mediation session.  About 75% of mediations will settle on the first day.  The other 25% will have to come back another day, sometimes with more documents or things required to fully resolve all disputed issues.  Mediations are usually scheduled at least a month in advance and several weeks apart so that both parties have time to locate and produce all relevant financial documents.

How Long After Mediation Is Divorce Final?

After the divorce mediation concludes with signatures on binding settlement papers, you can expect your divorce to be final anywhere from 1 to 4 months, according the FindLaw®. To some extent, parts of mediation are more straightforward than litigation. One of the advantages of working collectively with your spouse on drafting a Separation Agreement together is the considerable ease with which you can complete your divorce.

Most final Decrees and Joint Parenting Plans will be signed by the judge within 2 to 4 weeks of their submittal to the Court for final approval and signature.  Typically no formal court appearance will be required of either party.  If you are working with a knowledgeable divorce mediator, they can help you arrange your final divorce documents. You can simply file the documents within the court for evaluation once the papers are prepared.

What Happens After A Divorce Mediation?

Regardless of when a final ‘deal’ is struck at mediation, neither party can rush to the Court for a judge’s signature on the Decree and Joint Parenting Plan unless at least 60 days have passed since service of the original divorce petition in Arizona.  This is known as the “Cooling Off Period”.  In California, the Cooling Off Period is 180 days.  Every state is unique, and make sure you consult with licensed attorneys to naviagate this narrow issue.

Read More About 

How Much Does Divorce Mediation Cost?

How Much Does A Divorce Cost In Arizona?

How Much Does Collaborative Divorce Cost?

Collaborative Divorce In Arizona

*This information is not intended to be legal advice. Please contact Canterbury Law Group today to learn more about your personal legal needs. 480-744-7711 or [email protected]

Speak With Our Divorce Mediators In Scottsdale

We have a network of Arizona attorneys, tax specialists, estate planners, financial planners, child specialists, real property appraisers, adult and child therapists and parenting coordinators who are here for you if you ever need them. Our divorce mediators and collaborative divorce lawyers in Scottsdale are here to make your divorce less stressful and keep you in control. Call today for an initial consultation at 480-744-7711 or [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *