The Scottsdale divorce lawyers at Canterbury Law Group have represented hundreds of clients in Scottsdale divorce cases. Although every case is unique, there are certain steps that every potential divorcee should take:
- Do not try to hurt your soon-to-be ex – Do not let your emptions get the best of you. Especially if you and your spouse have children together, you need to try to take the higher road and attempt to part on decent terms. The court may frown upon any type of negativity or drastic misconduct against the other spouse.
- Confidently know your joint finances – It is estimated that 40% of divorce proceedings are about money. Be well informed in advance about your shared accounts. Specifically, you should know all online passwords to bank accounts, which accounts have automatic payments and where money is invested, including the names of all accounts, the account numbers and the investment advisors. Many times one spouse knows everything and the other spouse knows nothing about finances. The law provides that both spouses be provided 100% financial disclosures while the divorce is pending.
- Find a trusted legal team – A lawyer who is knowledgeable in family law in your state can likely get you a better settlement because they understand the state-law nuances and understand local judges’ tendencies and opposing lawyers. If you and your spouse have complicated family assets, you likely need a legal team with additional expertise. Take into consideration every possible avenue and plan accordingly.
- Know your future living expenses – Your future financial well-being should be your top priority. Thoroughly understand your current cost of living before the divorce proceedings start, so you can ask for a fair amount in the divorce settlement.
- Also remember that anything written online about an ex-spouse will exist forever—when the children are old enough to read. Although you may be hurt now, you don’t want to hurt your children even more in the future. Texts and emails can also be used against you at trial. Think twice before hitting ‘send’ on that nasty message to your spouse.
The Scottsdale divorce attorneys at Canterbury Law Group have represented women and men, young and old, in their complicated and simple divorce cases. To discuss your options in a Scottsdale divorce, call today to schedule a consultation. 480-744-7711.